Welcome to my e-portfolio for my ALES 204 class!

Welcome to ALICE SECH'S E-portfolio!

You can follow me on this blog to find out what kind of assignments and self-projects I am involved in for the ALES 204: Communication Theory and Practise and throughout the University.

Friday 11 November 2011

Wikipedia Stub for "Czech Cubism"

The next assignment for my Ales 204 class is to contribute in a Wikipedia stub by adding credible information from sources researched about the topic the student chooses. I chose to write about "Czech Cubism."


Here us the link to my screen shot of the edited Wiki stub:



Here is the link to the Wikipedia page with my stub:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czech_Cubism


I have always known that the Wikipedia was open for the public to edit; however, I never thought of trying it myself until Dr. Laccetti assigned the task. I found it really neat after using Wikipedia in the past for academic research references or to expand and understand ideas about certain terms or even for looking up a word for my own personal interest. Now here I am being a wiki publisher of my own!

I used the following references to explore the art movement of Czech Cubism:

·         Von Vegesack, Alexander, ed. Czech Cubism: Architecture, Furniture, Decorative Arts. Princeton: Princeton Architectural Press, 1992.

·         Journal of Design History (English)

·         Toman, Jindrich. Czech Cubism and the Book: The Modern Czech Book. New York: Kant Publications, 2011.

After some research, I decided to expand on the concept and history of the stub because in the wiki definition there was only a broad explanation of what Czech Cubism was. For the two topics I would include direct links when clicking on certain words to find out their definitions on other Wikipedia stubs. This tool gave background information for these definitions used to describe Czech Cubism in order to better understand the concept and history. For instance:



1.       “These angles allowed the Czech Cubists to incorporate their own trademark in the avant-garde art group of Modernism.”

2.       “This evolved into a new art movement.”

3.       “On the contrary, it was a revolt against traditional values of realism.”



After editing the Czech Cubism wiki stub, I found this exercise very intriguing and I will likely engage in more unfinished or short stubs. I like the feeling knowing that I have provided the public with helpful information for the same reasons I have use Wikipedia! Wikipedia has grown to be a reliable source in understanding concepts through a quick read for personal and academic uses, as well as links to information sources such as peer review articles.  For this reason many people feel comfortable using this online public encyclopedia. Wikipedia is an effective way to share knowledge with each other’s help and contribution about information of our world!

No comments:

Post a Comment